Upgrading from Pinnacle Cart 3.8.x
While this may seem like a simple upgrade, it is not. Over 150 files have changed between the R2 and R3 versions, and this is a manual patch, meaning the automatic upgrade option isn’t available here. Here’s how this upgrade works:
- We create a copy of your existing site in a subfolder (yoursite.com/subfolder) and upgrade that copy to 3.8.7 R2
- We copy that version of your site up to our development server, which is running PHP 7.2
- We manually upgrade that to 3.8.7 R3
- We re-install our apps
- We fix any templates that break in the upgrade
- We re-do any custom development that was present in the original cart
- We fully test everything to make sure it both looks good and runs perfectly
- We disable ordering on your live site and copy across your customers, orders, products and categories
- We have your host switch to PHP 7.2 and make the upgraded copy of the site live
How long does it take?
It depends on how much customization you had done to your original site and what version you are currently on. We can upgrade unmodified sites in a few days, but heavily customized sites can take a few weeks.
How much does it cost?
So far the average cost to upgrade a 3.8.x site has been around $750. Moving a site back and forth takes time, as does applying the manual patch and copying data, there is just no quick way to do it. The more complex your site and the older your version, the more expensive it will be.
We will of course provide you with a detailed estimate before we begin work.
Anything else I need to worry about?
- You will need an active Pinnacle Cart license and support account in order to have access to the upgrade
- You will need to let us know about all customization you had done to the cart. If we don’t know about it, we can’t copy it across to the new site
- Your server will need to be able to switch between PHP 5.x and PHP 7.x. Ask your host if you are unsure.
- We’ll need full access to your hosting control panel, FTP and admin area of Pinnacle Cart
How about $1000 worth of free apps to go with it?
To lessen the pain of the upgrade a little, we’ll throw in ALL of the following apps with your upgrade:
- Scrolling Featured Products
- Scrolling Secondary Images
- Random Testimonials – showcase your customer testimonials on the home page or footer of your site
- SlickNav Mobile Menu – a robust, multi-tiered mobile menu that makes navigation a breeze
- Message Bar – add an editable text bar to the header of your site showing promo messages, vacation messages, etc.
We know you probably have a ton of things you would rather spend your money on, but this is not an optional upgrade. Failure to be PCI Compliant has major security ramifications, and your customers deserve to have their data be completely secure. You’ll also sleep a lot better knowing there are no security holes in your system.
Questions? Feel free to contact us and we can walk you through the whole process and get you a proposal.